The Adoption Support Group meetings are facilitated by a Support leader. These meetings are for adults only (18+ years).
“It was a big step for me to attend my first Adoption Support Group meeting. However, once there I immediately felt a connection with these women and finally felt understood.”– Marcia
Discussions are based on what the attendees wish to talk about. There are no scheduled speakers.
- International versus domestic adoption
- Selecting an agency
- Understanding the homestudy
- Telling loved ones about your adoption plans
- Transracial adoptions
- Open adoptions
- Adoption fears
- How to handle waiting to be selected or matched
- Responding to insensitive comments about adoption
- Travel tips
- Being an advocate as an adoptive parent.
The facilitator, as well as many of the attendees, have adopted in the past and can be a great support system throughout the process.